Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving Thanks for Options

My sister and I just celebrated our first gluten-free Thanksgiving, and it was a huge success. I test drove my recipes last weekend, so I knew we'd have a great meal, but I was very pleased to find that my nephew, who is not gluten-free, enjoyed everything.

Pre-basted turkeys usually contain gluten, so we used my sister's coworker's recipe and brined our turkeys. I can't believe I have never heard of this! I brined and cooked a small turkey breast for myself, and it was the most moist and tender turkey I have ever tasted.

To make my sausage dressing, I used gluten-free bread made in my bread machine with Gluten Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread mix from Kroger. I find Kroger to be a wonderful resource for us gluten-free folk. Many of their store brand products are gluten-free, and they have a good selection of gluten-free products in their Nature's Market section. They have a great page, too:
http://www.kroger.com/healthy_living/fitness_nutrition/Pages/gluten_free.aspx

Anyway, I cut the bread into cubes and toasted it lightly and threw it into a big bowl (disclaimer: I did not literally throw the bread). I crumbled and cooked some bulk Kroger brand Italian sausage. When I cook sausage or ground meat, I always add some water to help break up the meat into smaller crumbles. For other uses, I drain the meat, but for dressing I leave the juices with the meat. I put all that into a bowl and then I sauteed chopped onions, celery, garlic and Italian seasoning in the same pan.

I mixed the bread cubes, sausage and drippings, onions, celery, et al, together, and added a little Kitchen Pantry (audio warning if you're reading at work, which none of us ever do, of course) chicken stock. I threw (not literally) it all into a pan and stuck it in the oven until it was browned.

So, that takes care of the turkey and dressing. Mashed potatos and sweet potato casserole were no problem, as all the usual ingredients are naturally gluten-free. We made our gravy with the turkey drippings and cornstarch.

One thing that was really important for us all was the green bean casserole. Since I have made homemade cream of mushroom soup before, I wasn't too worried, although the french fried onions are made with wheat. I googled 'green bean gluten free' (note the absence of quotatation marks, which could have limited my search to the words "Green bean gluten free" - damn all this newfangled technology!) and discovered that Funyuns are gluten-free, and they turned out to be a very good substitute.

Last but not least, the pie. I have always been the family pie baker, and I take that responsibility very seriously. I will, however, confess that I have not made a crust from scratch for decades. The Pillsbury refrigerated crusts are very good and have saved me a lot of labor over the years, but alas, they are anathema to the gluten intolerant.

I used Beth's All Purpose GF Baking Flour from Gluten Free Pantry (are you really going to make me link to it again? Have you even been paying attention?!) and followed the standard pie crust recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook.

I tried rolling out the pastry, but it was way too delicate and I wound up just gently pressing it into the pie pan and spreading it out until it filled the pan. I pre-baked it for a little bit because I was afraid it would be soggy, but it wound up so crisp that I think that step may be unnecessary. All the other ingredients for Libby's pumpkin pie are gluten-free, and I followed the directions on the can.

I also made an apple crumble using Beth's flour (no, I will not link to it again, you lazy git!). I used my own recipe that I made up ages ago, and it worked out great. The only thing I left out was the oatmeal. I used to use the quick cooking oats, which I am avoiding now. I am ok with steel cut oats, but since they need more cooking time, I need to figure out how to include them. Suggestions are welcome in the comments.

I am a "that looks about right" kind of cook, so I can't really post specific recipes just now, but next time I make this stuff, I will write things down and post them. We generally make the same meal for Christmas, so I will post specifics then. In the meantime, post any questions in the comments and I will respond with either a comment or a post.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! And I'm sooo proud of you two being so inventive with the g/f.

    ReplyDelete